Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Re: La NBC se hace con la serie de "CONSTANTINE"

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Nuevo póster promocional, Comic Style:

Imagen

- Nueva imagen BTS de Matt Ryan (03-10-14):

Imagen

(@mattryanreal: #punkjohn @NBCConstantine #Constantine)

Imagen Imagen
¡¡¡¡AY, OMÁ QUÉ CALORES!!!! ¡Gracias por tu regalo, Nitta!

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Constantine "The Journey Begins October 24" (Promo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-U1gFZAqg

- Constantine "When Hell Breaks Loose" (Promo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7CkKk_2jpY

- Constantine "Our Souls to Keep" (Promo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYF0i02jHw

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- La NBC ordena más guiones adicionales para ‘Constantine’:
Buenas noticias para la nueva serie de la NBC "Constantine".

La cadena ha ordenado tres guiones adicionales para la serie, lo que se ha hecho antes del debut de la serie a finales de este mes.

El ordenar guiones de respaldo se ha convertido en una de las tácticas favoritas de la cadena ya que es una manera relativamente barata de comprar semanas extras manteniendo a los escritores trabajando en las series que los ejecutivos sienten que prometen antes de que las cadenas decidan ordenar más episodios.

Constantine, basada en los cómics de DC, ha tenido un muy buen seguimiento, consiguiendo uno de los más altos índices de expectación para una serie nueva esta temporada. La serie se empezará a emitor el 24 de Octubre.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/mysteries-o ... bc-847687/

- Constantine & Grimm - Featurette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miPGRc0Ruxw
http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/10/consta ... -only.html

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Revelado título y descripción oficial del 1.02:
1.02 "The Darkness Beneath" (31/10/14): UN ESPÍRITU ARCANO ATORMENTA A UN PUEBLO MINERO DE PENNSYLVANIA MINING TOWN -- JAMES LEGROS ESTRELLA INVITADA -- En la profundidad de las montañas del Oeste de Pennsylvania, John (Matt Ryan) es la única defensa de una pequeña comunidad minera contra un espíritu arcano Galés. Durante el trascurso de proteger a estos aislados inocentes, John descubre una nueva y vital aliada en una joven llamada Zed (Angélica Celaya). Harold Perrineau y Charles Halford también aparecen.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=109028

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Primera promo oficial de Angelica Celaya como 'ZED' en "Constantine":

Imagen

- Primeras stills del 1.02 con Angelica Zelaya como 'ZED':

Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen

- Constantine - "Trust" (New Promo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_xQs0f9iM

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Matt Ryan sobre el convertirse en 'Constantine,' su arco favorito de 'Hellblazer' Arc, y qué distingue a este superhéroe (moviefone):
Matt Ryan sobre el convertirse en 'Constantine,' su arco favorito de 'Hellblazer' Arc, y qué distingue a este superhéroe
Por Alana Altmann 9 de Octubre, 2014

If you're not a big comic book fan or you dot happen to be familiar with the DC superhero and demon hunter John Constantine, please allow Matt Ryan to pique your interest.

The Welsh actor is about to step into the iconic role in NBC's new talked-about horror fantasy drama "Constantine," which is based on the Hellblazer comic books, and we're thoroughly convinced he's the perfect man for the job. We spoke with Matt about how he prepared for the his part in the DC universe, what fans can expect from the series when it comes to staying true to the source, and what it's like to play the sort of sarcastic superhero who "kind of doesn't give a sh*t."

Moviefone: This is one of the most highly-anticipated new shows of the season. For people who don't know much about Hellblazer or Constantine, how would you describe this character? Who is John Constantine?

Matt Ryan: John Constantine is a demonologist and he's a master of the dark arts. He's someone who's very cunning and manipulative and kind of will sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his goal, which is ultimately rid the world of evil and kind of bring balance to the world.

What sets him apart from other superheroes?

I think what's great about him is he's not a guy in a cape, he's not a guy in a costume. He's not a superhero who has a power, he's actually a working class guy who kind of looks out for the everyday man. He uses his brain ultimately to kind of achieve his goals. He has all these magic spells up his sleeve and he can conjure things, but what he relies on most is his cunning and the fact that he can manipulate people. And I think what makes him really appealing is the fact that he's not a guy in a cape and a pair of tights, he's actually just a working class guy.

Even though he's dealing with dark demonic stuff, he always remains witty and clever. Will we get to see a lot of that humor here?

Yeah, definitely. I think that's really integral to the show. What's great about is him is he's so self-loathing and guilt-ridden but at the same time, the way he deals with it is by brushing things off. He's someone who kind of doesn't give a sh*t. People around him die all the time and he doesn't have that many close friends so he kind of walks the world by himself. But he does it with a sense of humor. There's a great line in the comic where he says, "if you're not game for a laugh, then don't turn up." He has that kind of gallows humor which is very unique to any type of comic book superhero.

What can we expect to see in this first season? How far in this comic book story will we get?

We're starting out where the comic started out so we've got the whole canon in front of us. There will be stories taken directly from the comics and then there will be our own stories in there as well. In the first season, what John finds is there's impending darkness coming. The barrier between hell and earth is getting thinner and all bad things are able to get through. John is kind of spirited into action by an old friend sending him a message from beyond the grave that something is out there -- his daughter. So he kind of sets out to save her. And then in the process he learns from an angel, Manny, that there might be a chance to redeem himself and save his soul. Then he kind of takes it on himself to kind of figure out what this rising darkness is. So the overall arc of the season would be him trying to find out what the rising darkness is and he does that by kind of tackling individual cases and seeing if he can put the pieces together by that.

Were you familiar with the comic book? How did you prepare for this role?

To be honest I wasn't that familiar with the comics when the script turned up at my doorstep. I have a friend who's kind of a real comic book buff and Hellblazer is his favorite comic and John Constantine is his favorite comic book hero. He had been telling me about it for years and when I got the role he sat me down and he was teaching me the essential elements of John Constantine. And he still kind of sends me emails now about different issues of the comic, saying, "are you doing this?" So I have real insight from a real fan. When I got the part I think we had two and a half weeks before we shot the pilot, so my research was kind of going to the gym and reading comics which is such a terrible life ...

Was there a storyline or element from the comic book that you were hoping to get at? Did your friend had an idea of something that was absolutely necessary to get to the essence of this character?

I've kind of been jumping around because I wanted to read things. The guys from DC kind of gave me things I should read in terms of the time scale I had preparing for the pilot, so I've been jumping around. My favorite one so far is the Dangerous Habits one, but that's quite far into the comics and we're starting at the beginning so I don't know how long it would take us to get there. There's some great characters, like Gary Lester, who's a great character and the whole backstory. There's The Newcastle crew and everything that happened with Astra -- that's something we'll be exploring as well. We'll be bringing in a bunch of those characters from The Newcastle Crew as well.

How close to the source material will you stay? I hear it's going to be pretty faithful, but in what ways will you differ?

The whole idea is to stay as true to the source material as possible, but when you kind of take something from comic book medium to TV you have to make it your own. I think we're really doing that. So we're trying to stay true to the core elements of the character and the DNA of the comic book and the character but also kind of making it our own as well. Hopefully fans can expect Hellblazer but they can expect our interpretation of it.

Angélica Celaya will be playing Zed, replacing Lucy Griffiths as Liv to be the show's female lead. When will Zed making an appearance?

Zed's first full episode will be episode two. I think what's great about Liv, as the guys said we said at the TCAs and at comic-con, was we thought that she would be someone who was too susceptible to John's predications and they wanted someone who could kind of get in his face a little more. And we really get that with the character of Zed. There's a really interesting kind of chemistry between them and it's a kind of sexual chemistry as well as everything else. These are two people who both have kind of mysterious backgrounds. They're constantly trying to find out those things so there are kind of little trust issues, and they have to build this relationship as they go along. And they both really need each other. She has this power and John leads her to find out what the rising darkness is and he helps her kind of discover her power and how to hold it and stuff. And it's a really interesting dynamic because she doesn't take any of his sh*t. It's great. Angelica is great on-screen and off-screen we have a joke and she's just straight to the point and direct and that really comes out in the character.

Did you see the 2005 film of the same name and did you get Keanu Reeves's blessing at all?

I haven't spoken to him, no. I did see the film years ago. I really liked the film for what it was and I didn't kind of associate it with this world then because I didn't really know about it. But I saw the film and I enjoyed it but haven't spoken to him personally, no.

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/10/09/ma ... nstantine/

- Nueva imagen BTS de Matt Ryan (10-10-14):

Imagen

(@BigJohncap: @mattryanreal MATTY THE NEW TRAILERS ARE SICK BRO! CAN'T WAIT MATE. HONOR TO WORK WITH YOU MY MAN!)

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

"New York Comic Con" (11 Oct 2014)

IMÁGENES:
Imagen

Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen

Imagen

Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen

(Thanks to @TheCodeCrimson, @MjolnirMK86, @chrisseekell, @iamcarjar, @Im_Batman1222, @julz91, @keiragmahoney86, @LaGeeketteMaria, @legendairi, @monstermilton, @tiffftiph, @VI325, @allaboutnews, @dcallaccess, @harx1, @NerdyRScoundrel, @popseriesbrasil, @professorwhite, @thedailyquirk, @thomasjames1015, @tifanydemidio, @WithAnAccent, @NBCConstantine)

VIDEOS:
- Matt Ryan en Comicon NY Press Room (Pablo Manzotti):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxO9zd3grQ

- NYCC Constantine Press Room - Matt Ryan (The Geekiary):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_spqBHdfNA

- NYCC Constantine Press Room - Angelica Celaya (The Geekiary):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL_5JCnDQAo

- NYCC 2014 Constantine Press Room - David S. Goyer (The Geekiary):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_HvqLyaYIs

- Constantine's Matt Ryan NYCC 2014 (Lynsey Tamborello):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Xob22fy3Y

- Constantine's Angelica Celaya at NYCC 2014 (The Televixen):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PJlBTa5rK4

- CONSTANTINE: David S. Goyer Previews the New NBC series (GiveMeMyRemoteTV):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTnt74TasM8

- CONSTANTINE: Matt Ryan on Being Drawn to Playing John Constantine (GiveMeMyRemoteTV):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvfcgVo9aG0

- CONSTANTINE: Angélica Celaya Teases Zed's Official Introduction (GiveMeMyRemoteTV):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfxmQsFy8Xk

INFO:

- 5 cosas que supimos de ‘Constantine’ en el NYCC (hypable):
5 cosas que supimos de ‘Constantine’ en el NYCC
Por Donya Abramo 11 Octubre, 2014 11:30 pm

We got a chance to attend the panel for NBC’s Constantine at New York Comic-Con. Here are some of the more interesting tidbits we learned.

’Dangerous Habits’

Matt Ryan told us back at San Diego Comic-Con that he was a fan of the “Dangerous Habits” run of the original Hellblazer comics, and that hasn’t changed in the months since then. What we learned from David. S. Goyer is that the intention is to pull that into the continuity of the show. “If we stay on the air long enough, and that’s where you guys come in, we’ll definitely be doing that story arc,” he said.

This won’t be the only thing making it to the small screen. Goyer told us that they’ve already adapted some favorite single issue stories into the show. That news was met, much like “Dangerous Habits,” with loud applause.

Say hello to Zed

The pilot episode that aired during the panel is the final version, and will be the one making it to our television screens later this month. The biggest difference? We got our first glimpse of Zed on the show itself — though it was only from behind. Her frantic artistic renderings of John Constantine were the perfect tease to lead us into the rest of the season.

Ceyala also gave a little insight into Zed’s character, and her relationship with Constantine himself. “It’s a lot of push and pull. Or sometimes just push and push,” she told the audience, which was received with laughter. We certainly can’t wait to see her go toe to toe with Ryan’s Constantine.

Newcastle Crew

We’ll be seeing more of the infamous Newcastle Crew showing up over the course of the season. Gary Lester and Anne-Marie will both be making an appearance, with Ritchie (who shows up during the course of the pilot) being a recurring character. Also slated for an eventual appearance will be Frank North. It seems as though the events that lead to Astra — the young girl from the trailers — being damned to hell will be fully explored during the first season. Should we be expecting a flashback, perhaps? Or just more of the fallout? Either way, we’re incredibly excited!

The numbers

With nine episodes filmed and under their belt as they go to premiere, they’re working on the remainder of their order — which currently stands at 13 episodes. As for if we can expect a mid-season cliffhanger, Goyer looked entirely unapologetic about the possibility. “I like cliffhangers,” he said. “As anyone who has seen my shows knows.”

Is it too early for nail biting?

Lucifer

With so many characters that could and are being pulled into the series — someone will be coming forward to claim ownership of a particular helmet that makes an appearance in the pilot — but there was one that we were surprised to learn will be showing up in an interesting way. Lucifer will be making his way into the third episode, referred to as The First of the Fallen, but only his voice will be getting screen time for now.

We’ll have to hold out a little longer for a more substantial look at Lucifer. Goyer made a point of saying that he’s not the kind of character you drop into the thick of it, that he requires a lot more build up to get the full impact. We couldn’t agree more.

http://www.hypable.com/2014/10/11/five- ... e-at-nycc/
- Screening del Piloto y Panel Q&A en el NYCC (film-book.com):
Screening del Piloto y Panel Q&A en el NYCC
Por Mufsin Mahbub 12 Oct, 2014

Constantine Pilot Screening and Q&A Panel from NYCC 2014. Fans were excited to show up at the Empire Stage to view the pilot episode of NBC’s newest series Constantine at the 2014 New York Comic Con. Based on the Hellblazer comics by DC, the panel was moderated by USA TODAY’s Brian Truitt with appearances by writer/producer David S. Goyer along with series stars Matt Ryan and Angelica Celaya.

Fans were treated with the first episode of Constantine at the start of the panel. The pilot introduced audiences to John Constantine, a former conman who claims himself to be an exorcist and Master of the Dark Arts based on his business card. John travels to Atlanta, Georgia to track down Liv Aberdeen (True Blood’s Lucy Griffiths), the daughter of an old friend whom he must protect after he dies. We also get to see John’s partner-in-crime/chauffeur Chas Chandler, played by Charles Halford. An angel named Manny, played by Lost’s Harold Perrineau, then guides John on finding the demon who goes after Liv. The initial reaction to the pilot was positive based on the cheers from fans after the episode ended.

After the pilot screening, the panel went to the cast and crew who answered some questions from Brian about the new series. David S. Goyer said that Constantine would be loosely based on the Hellblazer comics that ran from 1988 to 2013. He assured everyone that Angelica Celaya’s character Zed Martin would make her debut in the second episode of the series. Angelica also discussed playing the character, who is actually an artist who crosses paths with John in the series. There was a glimpse of her that actually appeared in the end of the pilot which shows her painting many iterations of Constantine.

Matt Ryan discussed about the nature of his character, saying that he is a three-dimensional person with an antihero complex but tries to redeem his soul after losing someone he helped to a very powerful demon. He and David talked about his first audition for the role after Matt sent in a self-made tape. After going through many auditions, David said that he and writer Daniel Cerone decided that Matt was a good fit to play the main lead. Matt says that he thoroughly enjoyed playing John Constantine putting his own spin on the character but staying true to the source material.

Because of the nature of the show, David Goyer said that he knew of the network restrictions of what can and can’t show on television. He assured fans that we would still be able to see a bit of John’s smoking addiction even though we won’t see him smoke on screen. Artful language would also be a factor since it’s a big deal in the comics, but Matt confirmed that some words can be used in context. David told everyone that the tone of the comics is still part of the show despite broadcast standards.

If the show becomes successful, David Goyer hopes that he can bring in writers and artists who worked on the Hellblazer comics to help out with the show if it gets picked up for a second season. David also hopes to introduce more characters from the comic books based off of the Newastle Crew, who are spirits of Constantine’s dearly departed friends. The Newcastle Crew included members Sister Anne Marie, Emma, Gary Lester, Astra Logue, and John’s father Thomas. The pilot teased at Doctor Fate, another supernatural hero in the DC Universe. David sees that someone will probably take up the mantle of becoming Doctor Fate in the series soon. During the first season, David announced that we would see characters Nergal, Papa Midnite, and Jim Corrigan AKA The Spectre make appearances in some of the .

Production is still ongoing with the team currently working on episode 10, according to David Goyer. Even though David didn’t say how the season will end, he claimed that he liked a good cliffhanger but hopes that the show will become successful enough to come back for another season.

http://film-book.com/constantine-pilot- ... -nycc-2014
- NYCC: Goyer, Ryan Revelan los Trucos de "Constantine" de la NBC (CBR):
NYCC: Goyer, Ryan Revelan los Trucos de "Constantine" de la NBC
Por Benjamin Kaye, 22/10/14

The "Constantine" pilot received a rousing reception after an advance screening at New York Comic Con on Saturday night, as did the show's star, Matt Ryan.

"He's good, isn't he?" said a smiling David S. Goyer, show writer and executive producer, as Ryan took the seat next to him on the dais. Also on hand for the discussion was actress Angélica Celaya, who plays Zed Martin (a replacement for Lucy Griffith's pilot character Liv). "You saw her back at the very end of the pilot," noted panel moderator Brian Truitt of USA Today.

Truitt first asked Goyer what makes writing John Constantine special versus some of the big name DC Comics characters he's worked with, like Batman and Superman. "He is a bastard," Goyer said dryly, promising fans that they haven't "de-balled him for network TV" and noting that he's "so much fun to write."

"And so much fun to play," Ryan chimed in. Remarking on how well Ryan embodies the character's trademark gruff look, Truitt asked where he began developing his on screen persona. Ryan said he was given a bunch of comics by Goyer and that he dived into the source material. "I started taking notes and letting this character come off the page to me, and tried to glean as much as I could. There's so much there to get from, it's amazing."

Ryan pointed to the "Dangerous Habits" storyline as one of his personal favorites, and a few audience members showed their agreement. "If we stay on the air long enough," Goyer said, telling the crowd that was where they came in, "we'll definitely be doing that story arc. We've already adapted actually quite a number of interesting issues and arcs within the first 12 episodes. So you'll see some of your favorite issues show up."

Though we only catch a glimpse of Zed's "artistic ability" in the pilot episode, Celaya said she'll provide an interesting foil for Constantine. "She's a little badass and she doesn't stand for Constantine's BS. She's a little crazy one." She characterized the relationship between her and Ryan's characters as "a little push and pull -- or sometimes just push and push."

Goyer added that Zed's rich backstory will be addressed, prompting Truitt to ask if it would be a "slow burn between Zed and John." "We throw a bunch of petrol on everything in the next episode and all of it's on fire," Goyer responded. "It gets ridiculous. And then Papa Midnight shows up in episode three and it gets more ridiculous." Jim Corrigan will appear a few episodes later, and though Goyer noted they'll have to spend some time building his character, there will be a nod to his future as The Spectre as early as the first episode.

Talking about other familiar DC faces that will appear in the show, Ryan said, "We'll be introducing a bunch of the characters from the Newcastle Crew," the group of occult experts with whom Constantine battled the demon Nergal, an event that is a crux of the title character's early motivation. "We'll be seeing Gary Lester, Anne-Marie, and a couple others as we get down the line."

Goyer added that Newcastler Ritchie Simpson, portrayed by Jeremy Davies and featured in the pilot, will be a recurring character, and that Frank North will also appear. He went on to say that other DC Universe characters will "be filtering in" throughout the first 12 episodes. A crowd member called out for Doctor Fate, whose helmet is teased in the pilot. "Eventually," Goyer laughed, "someone is going to show up claiming that helmet that you saw."

The supernatural elements of the show will also lead to some strange scenes for Ryan's Constantine. Asked what the weirdest so far has been, he said, "One of David's episodes that he co-wrote, he had me naked covered in [chicken] blood doing this weird spell sermon." "To a Buzzcocks song!" Goyer chipped in. "It was really good fun, but I was in blood all day and I couldn't sit down," Ryan said.

Speaking about how much the work of the original "Hellblazer" comic creators would influence the show, Goyer said they were "privileged" to be able to build off material from some of what he called "the best writers and artists in the business."

"Look," he said, "if we go into a second season, I would love to have some of those writers write episodes for us as well." Sporadic approval sprung up from the audience at that remark.

When asked what her favorite part of the show was besides being Zed, Celaya said it was building a trusting unit amongst the cast and crew. "We get into the zone and we set the momentum, and our creative juices flow out and everybody's extremely respectful. To work with Matt, and I can just throw myself into the scene and he'll just catch it."

Goyer said that they were excited to finally get the show onto the air after already shooting nine episodes, and offered a smirk when asked if viewers could expect a mid-season cliffhanger. "I like cliffhangers, if anyone's seen my other shows," he said.

He then revealed that the studio wasn't initially sold on the idea of Ryan as Constantine, but that he was sure of it from the start. The actor had sent in a self-filmed audition tape that Goyer joked was "horribly lit," but he was in a theater production at the time that required him to have a large beard. "Didn't look anything like Constantine. He had this great performance, but it was very hard to see John Constantine in there. I was just running around the halls of Warner Brothers saying, 'This is the guy! This is the guy!' And they were saying, 'No, that's not the guy.'" Goyer told the casting director to keep Ryan locked into his option, while he subtly sabotaged other auditioning actors. "Because I knew that Matt was the guy! So I was just waiting for Matt's play to end so he could shave his freaking beard." Three weeks later, a beardless Ryan flew out to audition in person and the network approved.

"He's such a three-dimensional, multi-faceted character that you just want to be true to the DNA of the character and the comic books," Ryan said regarding the challenges of playing Constantine once he'd nabbed the role. "But also make it your own as well. It's something I'm still working out; I'm getting to know him more and more." He said he hopes to be able to play the character for a long time. "Again that's up to you guys," Goyer added. "Tell your friends!"

Discussing whether being on network TV has forced them to stifle Constantine's foul-mouthed nature, Goyer said, "There's some artful language happening. I'm kind of surprised at what we've gotten away with, actually."

There's been a lot of chatter recently about NBC not allowing Constantine to partake in one of his other characteristic bad habits: smoking cigarettes. But Ryan assured everyone that aspect hasn't been cut out of the story; they've just had to be sneaky about it. "We're constantly finding ways of getting it in there, so you've got to look out for that as well. See it as a challenge rather than a hinderance. Every episode is like, 'Where is it gonna be?' And we're finding all sorts of ways to get it in there." Indeed, there are a few cigarette butts in the pilot.

Finally, Goyer was asked to reveal any other juicy tidbits about the show. While he said Lucifer is in the background but too big to show right away ("Five seasons and then Lucifer!" a fan called), The First of the Fallen does have a presence earlier on. "You hear his voice in the third episode."

The panel wrapped with Goyer turning the questions on the audience, asking which characters they'd like to see make the leap from page to screen. Everyone from Zatanna to Doctor Fate to Raven was called for, but Goyer had a personal favorite of his own. "I'm lobbying right now for Detective Chimp."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=56326
- NYCC: Las estrellas de 'Constantine' hablan sobre el adaptar 'Hellblazer' y adelantan cameos ocultos (CBR):
NYCC: Las estrellas de 'Constantine' hablan sobre el adaptar 'Hellblazer' y adelantan cameos ocultos
Por Benjamin Kaye, 24 Oct 2014

Before screening the pilot episode for the New York Comic Con crowd on Saturday, 'Constantine' writer and executive producer David S. Goyer and stars Matt Ryan (Constantine) and Angélica Celaya (Zed) sat down with reporters for a roundtable discussion about the upcoming NBC show.

Ryan talked about how playing John Constantine is bigger than anything he's done before. Playing the role, he said, is about "leading something and trying to set the tone for something and set the right foundations for something to grow in the right way." The actor said that he wanted to make sure he was building this "house upon the bricks, not in the sand."

As for the character himself, Ryan singled out his humanist nature as his biggest redeemable quality. "Yeah, he's an utter bastard and he'll go about achieving what he needs by any means necessary, but ultimately he can't but help humanity," said Ryan. "He'll kill his best friend to save a thousand people, but if the best friend is the one that's the most important to save, then he'll kill a thousand people. It's whatever's for the greater good."

When asked about his research for the role beyond reading the "Hellblazer" comics, he revealed that he has been watching a lot of classic films. "We're doing an episode at the moment -- and I don't know if I'm supposed to say this -- but I'll just say that I needed to watch 'The Exorcist' for it again, so I watched all three." He added that episode director Neil Marshall told him to watch Gene Hackman's character in "The French Connection," "just in terms of the style of acting, his brashness and what he's like."

Ryan then shared his thoughts about the 2005 feature film "Constantine," which featured Keanu Reeves in the titular role. "I kind of see it as a standalone thing; it's its own interpretation," said Ryan. "I hadn't read the material [at the time], so it wasn't linked to that for me."

Now that he has read the source material, however, Ryan is looking forward to the appearance of some of the book's other characters. "We're introducing a bunch of characters from the Newcastle group, so you'll see Gary Lester in there. We're also introducing Jim Corrigan. That episode with Jim Corrigan is awesome; [actor] Emmett Scanlan is fucking off the charts."

He also promised that fans of the comics will be happy to see some of their favorite storylines and issues adapted for television. "My favorite so far is 'Dangerous Habits', but it will take us a long time to get that," said Ryan, referencing a story originally published in "Hellblazer" #41-46. "But that's good, because it will give me time to grow to get there."

For her part, Celaya said Zed's powers will evolve as the show progresses. "She's a sensitive, so she can feel what's going and have a vision, and the visions keep becoming more elaborate," said Celaya. "In a new episode, she starts going into another realm." Zed's sarcasm is also something that attracted her to the part. The actress added that the show was not going to shy away from the character's rich family backstory. "It's coming. It's gonna be a wild ride."

Beyond the powers and the wilder aspects of genre shows -- Celaya admitted that she "never thought, as an actor, I'd be around brains" -- she said she is blessed to be playing a strong female lead "that's not the prissy female showing tittays. She gets down and dirty. And I love the fact that she just happens to be Latino. It's not that she waves her Mexican flag or her Colombian flag or whatever -- she just so happens to be. I love the fact that that's the way it's written and it's approached, and that to me is putting Latino women -- and women in general -- ten steps forward."

Zed wasn't part of the pilot episode, and Celaya admits joining the show after it had started production was a bit like jumping into a game of "badass Double Dutch." Thanks to a welcoming cast and crew, she's warmed up to the team quickly. "If they let me play, I play. And that guy over there," she said, turning and pointing to Ryan, "he plays a lot, and I love it. The scenes are written one way and they end up being shot totally different, because they let us loose."

Goyer addressed the decision to write out Lucy Griffiths' Liv Aberdine character after the pilot and bring in Zed. He said that he thinks NBC initially wanted someone outside of the occult world to work as the audience's entry point. Then, as stories developed, "it became more interesting once we thought of introducing the idea of someone who was also part of that world who could go toe to toe with John." He added that the decision was theirs and not forced upon them by the studio.

There's been concern that John Constantine of the comics -- known for his swearing and smoking -- would have to be neutered a bit for network TV, but Goyer wanted to assure everyone that won't be the case. "I would say watch the first six episodes of the show -- he's a dick. NBC backed that; he's a big asshole in the show."

He pointed to the character's rough exterior as one of the joys of writing Constantine versus "some of the great hero heroes" he's worked on in the past. "He lies and he cheats and he'll kick people in the balls," said Goyer. "He drinks too much and sleeps around. None of that has been changed in the show." He added that Constantine will indeed be a cigarette smoker, reiterating Ryan's comments regarding 'Dangerous Habits' and saying they'll do it "if we go long enough."

Goyer said they hope to eventually adapt many stories from the "Hellblazer" books. "The first season sort of loosely adapts [Alan Moore's] 'American Gothic'. But having said that, even within the first season we adapted a couple issues from the [Jamie] Delano run. An issue from [Garth] Ennis has been adapted in the first season." He said sometimes they'll pitch stories only to be told by someone at DC that there was a similar tale in the books. They'll then rework the script to more closely resemble the comic.

Other aspects of the comic series will be showing up on "Constantine" as well. "There are a lot of easter eggs," said Goyer. "There's all sorts of things in John Constantine's lair. There are dozens of them that are little trinkets that you'll find in the DC Universe. Eclipso's black diamond is in there."

Doctor Fate's helmet is seen in the pilot episode, and Goyer said there is an intended story behind it that they hope to get to. "We have an initial order for 13 and hopefully we'll get our back nine order. The plan is that someone shows up on the doorstep to claim that helmet."

NBC Conjures Additional "Constantine" Scripts

As for other characters that could appear, he mentioned that Swamp Thing could theoretically show up. "The question is should he, meaning could we ever pull off that level of SFX makeup and have it not look cheesy," said Goyer.

Still, the comic publisher has given them access to nearly every occult character in the DC Universe. Jim Corrigan appears as early as episode five, and will be a recurring character. "We're not going full Spectre yet, but it's a possibility." Goyer also teased that another character fans will recognize will enter the scene in episode ten, though he didn't give a name.

A question was asked regarding stepping on the toes of the potential and long-in-development "Justice League Dark" movie from Guillermo del Toro. "There has been currently the decision to develop movies and TV separately simultaneously," he explained. "So it's possible some other Justice League Dark characters will be showing up."

Lastly, Goyer pointed to a character he'd particularly like to add down the line. "I think it'd be interesting to have and I'd love to see Etrigan, and/or Jason Blood."

For now, though, you can watch John Constantine and Zed take to the screen when "Constantine" premieres October 24th on NBC.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=56562

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- David S. Goyer habla sobre ‘Constantine’, la Justice League Dark y los Crossovers de las series de TV de DC (screenrant):
David S. Goyer habla sobre ‘Constantine’, la Justice League Dark y los Crossovers de las series de TV de DC
Por Sandy Schaefer , 14 Octubre, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Fox’s Gotham and The CW’s The Flash series are both up and running (no pun intended), but we’ve still got one more freshman DC TV show to look forward to this year. That would be Constantine, NBC’s upcoming small screen adaptation of the John Constantine character (with Matt Ryan bringing the dark arts dabbler to life) from writer and showrunner David S. Goyer (Man of Steel).

The program, which looks to blend supernatural horror and crime drama tropes (with a Noir-style protagonist), isn’t a surefire bet in the ratings race. However, promotional material has been promising – going off the mostly positive early reactions to the preview footage – and NBC has already gone ahead and ordered more Constantine episode scripts to be written - based on the assumption that they’ll be used in the future, naturally.

There’ve likewise been hints that the show will be quick to introduce elements that could allow for more DC characters to join the televised Constantine universe down the line. We interviewed Goyer at the 2014 New York Comic-Con and picked his brain for details on what the future might hold for Constantine (should it last long enough) – be it crossovers with other DC shows and/or the introduction of a Justice League Dark team for the series (see how Arrow and The Flash are setting up for a “Justice League on TV” in the future).

SCREEN RANT: Speaking of storylines, we all know that Constantine…with other characters like Zatanna, or any of the other DC magic people. Would it be possible to see Justice League Dark in any way, shape, or form? Would you want him to be a part of something like that?

GOYER: Yeah. I think you’ll see some of those…If the show takes off…even within the first 12 episodes we’ve introduced two or three characters from the broader DC universe that are not just exclusively from Hellblazer. Corrigan has been mentioned, but there’s a couple of other characters we haven’t talked about that will show up as well. If the show takes off and we get our back nine and come back a second season, we sort of have access to that whole corner of the occult universe. So, hopefully we’ll be introducing those characters as is appropriate.

SCREEN RANT: I know a lot of fans have a question about the structure of the master, just via TV or as it’s shaping up as a whole. You’ve got shows like Arrow, like Flash, like Supergirl from CBS. You’ve got Titans on TNT. You have Constantine on NBC. Different networks but all one studio company. I think a lot of fans are wondering is there room for movement even though these characters are on different networks, because they are under one master house? Could we see them interact?

GOYER: You know, never say never. There aren’t any immediate plans, but it would be interesting to try that, to do kind of an internetwork crossover. I think anything’s possible. But we have to get our sea legs first. We’ve gotta premiere in a couple of weeks, and hopefully the audience likes what we’ve got and then we’ll see.

SCREEN RANT: I know one of his biggest confrontations that everyone would love to see adapted on the screen was Constantine and Swamp Thing. Is that something that has been thrown around at all?

GOYER: It’s been thrown around. It’s not something I think we’d attempt in the first season. We need to make sure that we can pull off the special makeup effects. We don’t want to do a cheesy version of Swamp Thing. It’s a lot easier to do Dr. Occult or Zatanna or Jim Corrigan than it is to do Swamp Thing. So we’ll see.

Guillermo del Toro has been developing a Justice League Dark movie script for a while now, and just a couple months ago the filmmaker said he’s quite open to either casting the Constantine role anew or just having Ryan reprise the character from Goyer’s TV show. However, that project remains something of a long-shot right now, especially with del Toro setting to work on Pacific Rim 2 just as Constantine gets underway.

If the latter’s a ratings success in its debut season, then that would only improve the chances that a Justice League Dark team could be assembled on the small screen – with Ryan’s Constantine as a member – rather than in a film under del Toro’s guidance. Swamp Thing is also a property that’s been considered for a big screen adaptation in years past, but the titular character would be an obvious choice to join the Constantine universe (as mentioned in our Goyer interview) – again, should the show warrant the creature’s inclusion.

To sum it up: Constantine, as Goyer indicated, could end up bringing several members from DC Comics’ occult character collection to the small screen, if it becomes a hit. If it fails, then that still leaves the door open for projects like the Justice League Dark and Swamp Thing films to offer a more in-depth exploration of the supernatural side of the DC comic universe. We will know which is the case very soon, fortunately.

http://screenrant.com/constantine-tv-sh ... ow.twitter

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Nueva imagen BTS con Matt Ryan y Angelica Celaya (16-17 Oct, 2014):

Imagen Imagen

(@mattryanreal Nuns on the run @AngelicaCelaya @clairevandboom @NBCConstantine
@mattryanreal: 1 week. We are excited. @AngelicaCelaya @Charlie_Halford @NBCConstantine #Constantine)

- Nuevas imágenes Promocionales:

Imagen Imagen

- Constantine 1.01 "Non Est Asylum" Sneak Peek:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/10/consta ... um_13.html

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Matt Ryan en "Late Night with Seth Meyers" (17-10-14):

http://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-seth ... -1/2819975 (Part 1)
http://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-seth ... -2/2819976 (Part 2)

- Constantine - The Pilot Premieres This Friday (Extended Promo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbdtn-pmbWA

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Descripción oficial del 1.03 "The Devil's Vinyl":
1.03 "The Devil's Vinyl": UNA ESPOSA DESESPERADA TIENE QUE HACER UN TRATO CON EL DIABLO PARA SALVAR LA VIDA DE SU MARIDO -- MICHAEL JAMES SHAW ESTRELLA INVITADA COMO 'PAPA MIDNITE' -- John (Matt Ryan) y Zed (Angélica Celaya) se meten en una peligrosa confrontación para salvar a una mujer y su familia de siniestras fuerzas. Los esfuerzos de John lo obligan a enfrentar la oscuridad en su propia vida - mientras que también se enfrenta cara a cara con un nuevo y poderoso adversario con Papa Midnite (la estrella invitada Michael James Shaw). Harold Perrineau y Charles Halford también aparecen.

http://www.ksitetv.com/constantine/cons ... nite/43481

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- New Cast Promo Pics:

Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Constantine 1.01 "Call Me Manny" (Sneak Peek):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRdspFW1O4I

- Constantine 1.01 Two New Sneak Peeks with 'Zed':

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/10/consta ... um_21.html

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- Nuevas imágenes promocionales:

Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen

- Stills del 1.02 "The Darkness Beneath":

Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen Imagen

Imagen Imagen

Shelby
Administrador/a
Administrador/a

Mensaje por Shelby »

- El Showrunner de "Constantine" Daniel Cerone sobre los Orígenes de los Comics de DC, Swamp Thing y el Fumar (IGN):
El Showrunner de "Constantine" Daniel Cerone sobre los Orígenes de los Comics de DC, Swamp Thing y el Fumar
Por Eric Goldman / 22 Oct 2014

Constantine makes its debut on Friday, as NBC launches a new TV adaptation of the DC Comics character. Guiding the series are executive producers David Goyer (The Dark Knight, Da Vinci’s Demons) and Daniel Cerone, with Cerone serving as showrunner.

This summer, I sat down with Cerone to discuss tackling DC’s occult-minded character. The former Dexter showrunner spoke about his own fan history with Constantine, why they’re keeping the cast small and whether we might see Swamp Thing, given Constantine first appeared in that character’s comic.

And yes, we talk about John Constantine’s love of smoking and how it will be a part of the TV show, even though they can’t actually show him smoking, given current broadcast TV standards.

Note that we do delve into spoilers from Hellblazer and Constantine comic books.

IGN: David’s been involved in so many comic book adaptations, and everyone knows his comic book fan background. Did you read comic books or was it all new to you?

Daniel Cerone: I’m not going to lie or try to duck that question at all, because the reality is I came into comic books as an adult. I had a huge fantasy background as a kid. I loved Edgar Rice Burrows and Isaac Asimov. I read a ton of science fiction. I absorbed it but I never got into comic books specifically and it wasn’t until I was an adult and comic books had really sort of hit. I love myths and mythos and I was reading all the early Joseph Campbell stuff as it came out. My introduction to comic books was Sandman. And when I saw that, wow, comic books could become a true literary form and not just a literary form but a literary and visual form that could communicate ideas on a deeper level and a more fully expressive visual level than words alone, I was hooked. I went on to read and consume anything that Neil Gaiman had done and then following Neil Gaiman, sort of organically led me backwards to Alan Moore who seemed to be a bit of a forefather of Neil Gaiman and sort of earned a lot of the original credit for elevating comic books into that literary art form. That takes me to Constantine because look, Alan Moore introduced Constantine in Swamp Thing.

IGN: And he guest starred in Sandman!

Cerone: And he guest starred in Sandman! It’s funny, because my association with comics are very specific. It was more the literary, fantasy, kind of morally challenging, bringing legends to life. I don’t even know if there’s a category for that, but that was the world that appealed to me much more than superheroes and capes and boots and Constantine just fits so into the zeitgeist, because he came out at a time where all those costumed super heroes were big, and into that world walks this sardonic, wise-cracking, blonde haired brit in a trench coat who flips em all off. He’s a hero who mocks heroes basically and I love that about him. I love that essentially he doesn’t have any super powers. Everything he does is knowledge based, is acquired. So in terms of the super hero world, he fit more into my universe. I was showrunner the first few seasons of Dexter, and I always looked at Dexter as a super hero. Because here’s a guy who has a code that he lives by, he’s got an alter ego. He’s got a secret identity and he deals heavily in morals and right and wrong but he’s very challenged. He’s very dark . I feel like Constantine just fused all the parts of my background together from Dexter to my love of sort of legends come to life.

IGN: Did you know early on that you wanted to keep it to a small cast of characters, not a big ensemble?

Cerone: It made sense to keep it small. It was very challenging to come up with the correct group of people to surround him with because really, in the comic cooks, everybody dies. The one constant that he has is Chas [played by Charles Halford], so we gave him Chas as a side car mate. The challenge of Chas is that he’s a very undeveloped character in the comic books. You don’t learn about him. He’s basically muscle and he’s the driver so our challenge with Chas was to flesh that out and make him a little more complete from the beginning. The Zed character [played by Angélica Celaya] fit. We’re challenged in that when you have a character like Constantine on network television, networks are generally more comfortable when there’s a franchise around them. Your character is a detective who solves supernatural crimes but we really wanted to resist that and it’s tough. Constantine is many things. He’s an occultist. He’s a demonologist. He’s a supernatural fixer. He’s a spiritual grafter. He’s a mage. He’s a con man. He’s sort of a jack of all trades and David and I really wanted to resist the idea of making him a guy who goes out and solves supernatural crimes.

IGN: What’s your approach to the overall storyline of the season?

Cerone: Our goal every season is to give him a serialized story arc much like the comic books do, that will enable him to fight the supernatural evils of the world but no in a predictable, formulaic, monster of the week format. Our first season arc, it’s the American Gothic arc from Swamp Thing. I don’t know how into this stuff you are but look, when John Constantine first appeared in the comics, he came into the world of Swamp Thing and basically said “Look, there’s a darkness coming. “And John Constantine’s job was to equip Swamp Thing to face that. And we’re leaning heavily into that and the whole idea was that supernatural evils are being flushed from the darkness into the light to create the climate of fear, to allow this dark force from emerging. That is our first season story arc straight from Alan Moore, straight from Swamp Thing. It’s nice because it also provides us sort of nice, episodic challenges for Constantine to face every week but there’s a serialized element because he’s trying to figure out what’s behind it all. Spoiler alert, what’s behind it all is going to be what’s behind it all in the Swamp Thing arc, but there will be those discoveries along the way. Our goal at the end of the first season is to reconstitute the Newcastle séance that went so horribly wrong to bring back his Newcastle crew. And again, this is straight from the mythos of it all and then next season we’ll come up with another serialized arc that will enable us to showcase Constantine and what it does without putting him in an office, picking up the phone.

IGN: Can you fathom ever seeing Swamp Thing on this show?

Cerone: The short answer is no. That’s the short answer. There is a reason that comic books as a medium, comic books as a medium can tackle ideas and characters in a safe format that would be very difficult to sell on filmed entertainment in ay form. What I loved about Swamp Thing is that, in the hands of Alan Moore, look he became an earth elemental. He became symbolic. He became almost god like but it was all very grounded. But look, if you saw that thing on TV or in a movie, are you going to buy into it or you going to look at it and go, “That’s just silly.” And that’s the challenge and more than anything, our goal, the reason Constantine works as a character is he’s grounded. He is the blue collar warlock. He’s the guy that you know who he is. If you look at mages and mystics over the ages in comic books, they’re older gentlemen, they’re very austere. They couldn’t handle themselves on the street and Constantine, you have a street wise warlock. That’s one of his greatest advantages. So he’s a guy that’s easy to accept and embrace and portray on screen. I worry that if we brought a giant piece of plant matter into our more grounded universe, if it will just implode.

IGN: The whole smoking aspect has come up a lot and how integral it is in the comics. You’ve basically said the character in the show is a smoker, whether we are seeing him actively smoking or not. But in the long term, there’s a very big storyline involving his smoking. Have you discussed how you might try to deal with that?

Cerone: Yeah. This show is being created within a commercial market place and I’m constantly fascinated by the degree of interest in Constantine as a smoker because we are remaining true to the comic book. John Constantine smokes. He smokes a lot. We’re limited, by current broadcast standards, with what we can see on screen. My hope personally is that comic book fans would embrace the fact that, hey, we’re trying. We’re trying to give you what you want. We’re trying to stay true to the roots of the character but we also have to honor the commercial marketplace. We can’t change broadcast standards. That’s not possible. I am fascinated by those questions. I hope that it doesn’t ruin anybody’s experience of the character, that they’re not seeing him on screen inhaling carcinogenic smoke into his lungs. But we’re going to keep very alive the reality that he is a smoker. I don’t know. Look, he smokes. That’s the bottom line.

IGN: Suffice to say, there will be a lot of cigarette butts around?

Cerone: Yeah, and I’ll say this too - we want to have fun with the idea, because there’s not a lot more we can do other than open scenes and close scenes with him lighting up a cigarette or putting out a cigarette. We actually want to have fun with the audience because it’s like how close can you put that cigarette to his mouth before it hits his lips and he inhales? Those are the fun moments that we can have where yes he smokes, going to keep alive the idea that he’s a smoker. We’re going to see, hopefully, the price that he pays for being a smoker.

We’re meeting Constantine in our universe the same time the fans met him so he did a ton of great things. He had cancer, it got ripped out of him, he tricked the devil, all the great things that have yet to happen to Constantine, they haven’t happened yet. We’re meeting him in the beginning. Our goal is to be able to see all of that and if we’re a multi-year series that runs, cancer will definitely be something that he has to face at one point.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/22/ ... nd-smoking
- Cerone Levanta un Poco del Infierno con "Constantine" de la NBC (CBR):
Cerone Levanta un Poco del Infierno con "Constantine" de la NBC
Por Bryan Cairns, 23 Oct 2014

The dark corners of the DC Universe are no place for the average mortal or superhero. Malevolent forces lurking in the shadows regularly wield arcane magic, possess bodies and rip souls to shreds. That's where John Constantine comes in.

Based on the popular comic book character, the freshman TV series "Constantine" follows the exploits of John Constantine (Matt Ryan), a smart-ass Brit who reluctantly stares death in the eye for the greater good. A self-proclaimed exorcist and master of the dark arts, Constantine is hoping to find a some redemption after a job gone wrong lands the soul of a little girl in hell.

"Constantine" executive producer Daniel Cerone recently spoke with CBR News to discuss bringing John Constantine to the small screen, how Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing" plays into the first season's arc, the show's mythology and incorporating DCU's mystical characters into the new television series.

CBR News: Congrats on getting more scripts ordered. It must feel extremely rewarding that NBC is displaying so much confidence this early on.

Daniel Cerone: Yeah, here's the reality of the situation. Because we're a later premiere, our production pipeline would dry up if we didn't keep having scripts lined up. In other words, if they decide to order a back nine, we need to keep the scripts lined up so we don't have to stop production. The good news is if they hated us, they wouldn't have ordered more. If they didn't like the scripts they were reading and the cuts they were reviewing, they would definitely have put a big pause on things. I do feel we've given them enough to get excited about.

Were you a fan of Constantine previously, or did this project come out of left field?

I'm a huge fan of Alan Moore. I discovered Constantine in "Swamp Thing" and was so intrigued by who he was. I dipped into "Hellblazer" from time-to-time. I've always found him to be a compelling and dark and edgy character. He's more in keeping with the kind of comics I do like. I'm not so much of the capes and cowls variety. What I like about characters like Constantine, and what I enjoy about Neil Gaiman's work, is they are so steeped in our world. I always felt like I could connect to him on a more natural and organic level. There's a certain wish fulfillment aspect to him because he is so wry, and he is so cool and confident in his skin, and will say or do whatever he pleases and has no allegiances with anyone. It's someone I've always felt a connection to.

Introduce us to the television version of Constantine. Who is he and why does he partake in these supernatural adventures?

That's something we hope to explore in great depth. More than anything else, we're trying to honor the character as he was laid out in "Hellblazer." That really is our template. In terms of who Constantine is, we're hoping he'll be very recognizable to fans of the work. He's a great humanist. Despite himself, he feels the burden to go out and fight for humanity. On the other hand, this is someone who will literally sell out his best friend or sacrifice the lives of his friends for the greater good, which also makes him a morally challenging and complex character. But what I love is that "Hellblazer" also flirts with the idea that he's a bit of a junkie. He's a guy who is always jonesing for that adrenaline rush of fighting demons. So, why is he doing it? Is he doing it because he needs a fix? I don't think he knows. I'm not sure we should ever know because there's a little truth to all of it.

There's been some criticism already that Constantine isn't the same chain-smoking bisexual as in the comics. Why the changes and do those details really make a difference?

I would take issue with the presentation of Constantine through the run of the comics as a chain-smoking bisexual. He's been chain-smoking without a doubt, but this curious character aspect of him was revealed very late in the run. It might have been followed up once. It just wasn't a defining part of who he is. Could that exist in our universe? Sure. Look, we are following the course of the comic. I don’t mean this as a cop-out at all. The comic ran for a very long time, presenting a character and building out this character, who was different with many passions and conflicts and torments and tragedies. That's what we're hanging our stories on. Is he chain-smoking? Absolutely. We're limited by what we can show. We just hope comic book fans understand that. Instead of decrying the fact that they don’t see him with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth in every scene, we're hoping they will actually give us credit for really trying to stay true to the character.

Does he actually possess any inherent powers or is it all knowledge-based?

Exactly the latter. Part of the fun and fantasy of rooting for John Constantine is that he wasn't exposed to radiation. He doesn't have any inherent powers that came to him accidentally. Everything that he has he learned and he worked for and he studied. All his powers come from knowledge and hard work.

Two of Constantine's companions are Manny (Harold Perrineau) and Chas (Charles Halford). Where do they fit into the series?

Manny is a really fun creation. When we pitched this to NBC, what I think they loved about the "Constantine" universe was the whole angel/demons, Heaven and Hell, guilt and redemption. I think they liked all those classic themes. As you may know, "Constantine" deals with many world religions. Because NBC loved that and wanted to see an angel in the series, we decided to come up with an interesting and unexpected angel. And we made him a more mysterious and darker figure, and not really know or be aware of his true motives. Also, there's the opportunity to deal with some of the themes that make the "Constantine" universe so rich.

One of the most difficult things about bringing the show to television was so much of Constantine was revealed in those [comic book] panels. It was revealed in his inner monologue. We're not a voiceover show and sometimes you try and work those ideas into expositional dialogue and it falls flat. So much of the rich tapestry of Constantine was inner monologue. By giving him this angelic character, who is directly connected to sources above, it brings out more dynamic and thoughtful conversations that Constantine might not otherwise have organically.

For Chas, in the comics, he is pretty much the muscle and the driver and said very little in between. That's more or less how he's introduced in our world, although we do have a very interesting backstory for him that we're going to reveal in episode 10. No, Chas is not immortal, even though he appears that way. We have a story we're very excited about, that we're literally prepping right now to shoot, where we reveal why he has this ability to resurrect himself.

Obviously, Constantine will encounter a demon-of-the week or some mystical threat. Can you talk about the bigger picture and his journey this season?

When John Constantine was introduced in the pages of "Swamp Thing," there was a phenomenon going on. I think it was also tied to the whole "Crisis [on Infinite Earths]" situation. Within the pages of "Swamp Thing," Constantine told Swamp Thing of this rising darkness that was coming, that there was a force out there. This force was stirring up supernatural beings and forcing creatures that typically existed in the shadows into the light. All of this was to create a climate of belief in the world for some great evil to be born. That very loose construct is what we refer to on our pages as a "Rising Darkness."

That is driving our first season. Without dropping spoilers, the same forces behind it in the pages of "Swamp Thing" is going to be the same force behind our Rising Darkness. This is the "American Gothic" arc in "Swamp Thing." In a way, Moore set out a perfect template for the first season of television because you have a large mystery with an epic feel. Something is coming. A great force is going to be released. You have manifestations of it that needs to be stopped, which supplies us with weekly stories for Constantine to fight. It's all driving towards something. They are all related and as Constantine moves through our season, taking on these individual forces, he's also picking up clues and trying to solve the larger mystery.

The other thing we're doing that we're really excited about is by the end of the first season, we'll have met the entire Newcastle Crew. We have 11 scripts written so far. In those stories, we meet Ritchie Simpson in the pilot. We'll meet Gary Lester. We'll meet Anne-Marie, who was driven to a convent. All of these things are a result of Newcastle. By the end of the season, we'll have met all the Newcastle Crew with the goal of in the season finale, to reconstitute that séance that went so wrong to defeat the Rising Darkness.

How welcoming have Warner Bros. and DC Comics been to you about playing with their properties?

They can't get enough of it. Our DC executive is fantastic. He reads every script and every outline and he gives notes. He's actually always emailing us going, "Have you thought about using Felix Faust here? Have you thought about using the black diamonds here?" Be it DC arcana and artifacts, or be it lesser known or moderately known characters, they embrace it. And NBC realizes that we're tapping into a fanbase. They are on board too.

There's plenty of buzz behind Jim Corrigan's (Emmett J. Scanlan) appearance. What's your take on the man who will ultimately become the Spectre?

We're meeting him as a detective. We're meeting him pre-Spectre for sure. We'll definitely hint that this character has a future because … I don't know how much you know about the show, but the Liv [Lucy Griffiths] character from the pilot doesn't stay with the show. In episode 2, she's replaced by Zed [Angelica Celaya], who is much truer to the comic. They will meet Jim Corrigan on a case, in a very organic manner. At the time, he's the detective that he was in the early pages of the comics. He's a little more aggressive. He's definitely somebody who is a believer in justice and will take matters into his own hands to achieve that justice. He doesn't necessarily play by the rules. That's the character we'll meet on a case. He will see his first signs of supernatural existence on that case. We'll open his eyes to that. It's nice for Constantine to have a friend on the force, so if we need information that can only be supplied by a law enforcement official, he can draw on Jim Corrigan. Our goal over episodes and seasons is to evolve the Jim Corrigan character and eventually play his story where he becomes the Spectre.

Doctor Fate's helmet pops up in the pilot. Is that just an Easter Egg or do you have plans for him?

We have more ideas for Doctor Fate than I could list in this phone call. We're excited about paying that off. We don't have any concrete plans right now, but we have multiple pitches for stories. It is fully our intention to pay off that Easter Egg.

Viewers love seeing the TV counterparts of the DCU's heroes and villains. So, looking at some of their magical heavy-hitters, Constantine had a relationship with Zatanna. Has there been any discussions surrounding her?

Yeah, we've thought about it and talked about it. Zed is who we are hanging our hats on right now. She felt like a more organic character. Zatanna is definitely on our radar, but I think she is someone who we would meet more in the future than the immediate future.

What about the enigmatic Phantom Stranger?

We love the idea of the Phantom Stranger. There are active pitches around the Phantom Stranger, including the mythology that ties in with one of our current characters. That is something we're very interested in and I would say is a possibility.

Considering where Constantine debuted, is there room for Swamp Thing in this series?

Here's the thing -- I don't think any true Swamp Thing fan wants to see the TV version of the Swamp Thing. What it would take to accommodate that character from a strict technological cinematic standpoint would not be easy. That would have to be a fully realized CG creation.

Lastly, are there any recognizable foes that you have been circling?

Felix Faust is someone we're currently writing into an episode. We found the most fantastic actor for Papa Midnite, Michael Shaw. He's a young guy out of Juilliard that is just blowing our mind. We can't write enough for him.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=56525
- Matt Ryan necesita que sepáis que 'Constantine' vieno antes que Castiel Zap2it):
Matt Ryan necesita que sepáis que 'Constantine' vieno antes que Castiel
Por Chris E. Hayner 24 Oct, 2014

It's not every day that the hero of the story is a chain smoker who drinks a lot and is quick to poke fun at even the scariest situations. That's what you're signing up for with "Constantine" though, and it's for the best.

Zap2it sat down with the man playing supernatural detective and con man John Constantine at the summer press tour about his first Keanu Reeves-heavy exposure to the character, why he has to smoke on TV and just who "Supernatural's" Castiel thinks he is stealing Constantine's style.

Zap2it: What was your first introduction to "Constantine"?
Matt Ryan: To be honest with you, I saw the movie. One of my best friends is a huge comic book fan, so much so that he now has a company and writes his own comics. For years he would go on and on about "Constantine" and "Hellblazer," but I didn't know much about it aside from the movie.

When he saw the movie, he was disappointed that they made him American and took the humor out of it. Once the audition came up, my mate sat be down and f***ing went through everything with me. He was like, "This is how it is. You have to do everything like this."

It's a good thing he did that because so far it seems like you're sticking very close to the source text.
For me, having become a huge fan, you want them to stick to it as close as possible. Look, this is a TV show and that's a comic. You're changing the medium, but in terms of the character ... There's so many parts of his personality to explore and I want to stay as close to it as possible.

That's what I liked about it in the first place, the characters and the stories. Unfortunately there's some storylines that probably wouldn't be suitable to TV, not because they're too dark but just in terms of adapting things. But you've got all this source material. That's what's great about [executive producers] Daniel [Cerone] and David [S. Goyer]. They want to do it right and hopefully we can.

Luckily, NBC is using their Friday night slots to launch these dark shows you're not used to seeing on network TV, like "Hannibal."
When I saw that show, it seemed like a cable show. In terms of the tone, I'd say we're somewhere between "Grimm" and "Hannibal," but I think that's to do with John himself. He's the kind of guy ... Honestly, he makes me laugh. It's awesome.

Whenever I get a script and I'm still reading the comics, he just cracks me up with that dry British wit. No matter how dark.

That's important to the character. With all of these horrible things happening around him, he can throw out a joke at the drop of a hat.
What's that line? When hell freezes over, Turro says to him, "I think you've got a real knack for p***ing people off." "A knack?" he says. "I think I've turned it into an art form." I love that line. That's John.

There's another big part of him that's a bit trickier on network TV. In the comics he smokes quite a bit.
It's one of three things in the original description. He has to be a smoker.

How do you approach that?
The thing is, he's a smoker. He has to be a smoker. We're just not going to dwell on it too much. For me, when I zoom out and look at it, you don't want to tell people smoking is a good thing. For the new fans, you don't want to condone it. At the same time, it's such a big thing for the character. He's a smoker and we're not taking that away from him at all. That would p*** me off.

You can't not make him a smoker cause it's such a personality trait for him. He smokes and drinks. The only thing he doesn't do is drugs. There are rules and regulations though, and I see that as a challenge. How do we get it in here? How do we get it in there?

John has been poking around the DC universe for 30 years. There's so much the character has done in the comic books since his introduction. Are there any particular stories or moments you'd like to see on the show?
Do you know what I really love? The hippy stuff in "The Fear Machine." I love John in the puddles, running from police and he finds the traveling campers. I don't know that it would be a suitable TV show, but I love it.

There's a part where Mercury gets taken and John's in all these hippy clothes with long hair and a beard and he ditches the clothes, gets his trench coat back on, shaves and gets back to work. I f***ing love it.

Speaking of that trench coat, you know there's another character out there that looks dresses quite a bit like John on "Supernatural."
He's called Castiel, right? Do you know what's so funny, I've seen on social media people going, "Why are they making a show about someone who looks like Castiel?" I'm like, "No, no, no, no, no. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Constantine came first."

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/constantine ... bc-2014-10
- Daniel Cerone habla sobre CONSTANTINE, el tener una temporada completa, Easter Eggs, y Más (collider):
Daniel Cerone habla sobre CONSTANTINE, el tener una temporada completa, Easter Eggs, y Más
Por Christina Radish 24 Oct 2014

From executive producer David S. Goyer and showrunner Daniel Cerone, Constantine is based on the wildly popular comic book series Hellblazer from DC Comics. John Constantine (Matt Ryan) is a seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult, armed with a ferocious knowledge of the dark arts and his wicked wit, but his soul is already damned to hell. Along with trying to find a loophole out of that, Constantine begrudgingly fights to save the soul of others.

During this exclusive interview with Collider, executive producer Daniel Cerone talked about wanting to create a scary show for network TV, having a full season story arc and a sense of what they’ll do for a second season, not having a final end game, the biggest challenges in dealing with a chain-smoking character with broadcast standards, when and why they decided they needed to write out the Liv character and instead write in Zed from the comics, whether Liv could ever return, Easter eggs, and his desire not to force this character into a formulaic mold. Check out what he had to say after the jump.

What tone are you looking for, with this show?

DANIEL CERONE: We want, to the best of our abilities, to create a scary show. We don’t feel like there are or have been a lot of scary shows on network television, but they’ve certainly been on camera. The demands are so different with the commercial breaks and the shorter length. And building out scares often involves slowing things down and taking time. We’re writing shorter scripts because we really want to create scary dynamics and set pieces. If it was a really flip world where everyone was telling jokes and cracking wise about supernatural entities, then it would take away from the scares. Constantine is the one character where this is his world. This is second nature to him. His way of dealing with the darkness is to crack a joke. So, most of the humor comes from him, and the characters around him should feel real, especially the people that he’s helping.

How far do you have this show planned out? Do you just know your full season arc, or do you have a five-year plan?

CERONE: It’s a good question. The beauty of developing a comic book like Constantine, that’s been in publication, in some form, for 30 years, is that there’s such a wealth of material. We definitely know what we’re doing this season, we know what our ending is, we know what we’re building toward, and we have a sense of what we’re doing for the second season and what we’d like our second season arc to be. Our first season arc actually comes straight from the comic books. Constantine was introduced in Swamp Thing. If you listen to a lot of the language of what they’re talking about, with the rising darkness and some force out there that’s planning a terrible event and is trying to flush supernatural entities out of the darkness and into the light, when Constantine showed up in Swamp Thing, he actually showed up as a character who always ushers someone along. Constantine showed up to help facilitate Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing was the one, at the end of that story, who ended up fighting the darkness. In our story, we’re using the same coming darkness, but Constantine is going to be the one who’s fighting it. So, we’re dipping very heavily into the mythology for the series. The Newcastle seance, where he lost the soul of the little girl, is something we want to revisit in our finale this season. As the season builds, we want to get to a point where, to stop this coming darkness, Constantine has to reconstitute the Newcastle seance, and he’ll end up bringing back all the players who were originally in that seance.

Do you have an idea of where you want to end the show, when you get to the series finale?

CERONE: No. It’s funny because I was the executive producer and showrunner for the first two seasons on Dexter, and I knew exactly where that show was gonna end. By the way, they didn’t end it there, but in my mind, it was confessions from the death chair. But in this case, I don’t know because he’s too fluid a character. He’s out there with his own magazine, and there’s another big DC magazine out there right now, called Justice League Dark, and he’s the leader of that. I don’t think his story ever ends, so I don’t see a finish point. The character is still alive in the public consciousness without a finish point.

What are the biggest challenges in dealing with the smoking aspect on network television?

CERONE: It’s an interesting phenomenon. Part of me wonders if smoking is that important to people that we need to see him smoke. We are staying true to the character. We are retaining the fact that he is a heavy smoker. But we also exist in a real-world situation where our broadcast standards don’t allow us to see someone smoking. I would hope that fans celebrate us for doing our best within the constructs that we have. That would be my goal. He does smoke, and he is a smoker. It’s as simple as that.

How far into production did you realize that you’d need to change the female character that you’d set up in the pilot?

CERONE: Honestly, it didn’t happen until we got a series order. We got a series order and we started talking about what the episodes would be and what the stories would be. When we carried the Liv character forward, she just wasn’t as interesting a character in the series, as she was in the pilot. One of the greatest things about Constantine is that he doesn’t have a super power. He’s got a great facility with the dark arts and with magic, but everything he does is knowledge-based. Whereas Liv had an actual power. She had the power to see the dark side. If you looked at her as a superhero, the pilot of Constantine was essentially her origin story because she discovered her power. Origin stories are exciting, but there’s a reason why Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 don’t work as well as Spider-Man. The origin story is so much more captivating than the guy or girl who already has their powers and is just dealing with them. So, Liv was great as an origin story, but after the discovery of her powers, we were stuck with a young woman who doesn’t know anything about this world, and she’s not a peer. Constantine would have had to keep schooling her. We thought it would be interesting and compelling to have a potential romantic interest. We thought it might be a little creepy, if Constantine was hitting on the daughter of his former mentor, who also played very young. Also, Zed is a character who has more wherewithal. She’s stronger and she knows who she is. She comes from a very challenging background, and she’s lived with her powers a little bit longer. She’s also a character from the comic books, and we really do want to honor the fans of this property, as much as we can.

Was there every any talk about bringing Liv back for an episode or two, later on, or did you have to just completely let her go?

CERONE: We’re open to it, but there are no current plans for it. It’s possible. She’s not dead. You’d have to talk to her to see if she’d even want to come back. Who knows? Creatively, the healthiest thing to do, when you make a break like that, is to put it in the rearview mirror and embrace the future, and that’s what we’re doing.

In the pilot, we see the Doctor Fate helmet. Are you hoping to drop little nods like that for the comic book fans, that don’t affect things or take away from the experience for the non-comic book fans?

CERONE: That’s a good point. If we do any nods toward the DC universe, they have to work on two levels. They have to work for the comic book fans, but they also have to work for the general viewer who doesn’t know anything about the Easter egg that we’re planting. In the pilot, we have the Doctor Fate helmet. Liv picks it up and Constantine says, “You better put that down, before it puts you down.” It’s a fun mysterious beat for the general viewer, who will be like, “There’s a mysterious item that I want to know more about.” And it takes on a whole level of meaning for the comic book fan who’s like, “Oh, my god, that’s Doctor Fate’s helmet! That’s cool. I hope I see that again.” We had a need in Episode 5 for a police officer who sees something that happens supernaturally and, for that episode, has to help our team. So, we were talking to DC and we said, “Well, what if we make this young police officer Jim Corrigan.” Jim Corrigan is this character from the DC universe who, as a cop, took moral justice into his own hands, ended up dying, and came back as The Spectre, which is a big comic book series. That way, Constantine has a friend on the force, for when he needs a law enforcement character, and we can use the character in a recurring fashion. And if it’s something that proves popular, maybe we’ll follow the character through to his origin story as The Spectre. That would be down the road, but at least we’re creating those kinds of possibilities. And the Jim Corrigan situation is perfect because he works within the demands of the episodic story we’re telling, as a cop who learns about the dark side. For fans who know nothing about Jim Corrigan, that’s cool. It still works within the body of the story. But for fans who know that Jim Corrigan becomes The Spectre, it’s an, “Oh, my god!,” moment. Hopefully, they’ll be wanting to see more, and we can show them more.

For people who go into this not knowing anything about the comics, what do you think they should know about the story, going in?

CERONE: One of the biggest challenges of developing Constantine for television is that he doesn’t fit into an easy mold. He’s not a detective. He is, in a way, but he’s not a guy who goes out and solves cases. He’s a bit of a supernatural jack-of-all-trades. He’s a supernatural fixer, he’s a spiritual grifter, he’s a con man, he’s a mage, he’s an occultist, he’s a demonologist, he’s an exorcist, and he’s a big humanity who’s always out there helping people. But, television wants people who fit into a mold. We’ve resisted turning Constantine into a supernatural detective. What we’d rather do is come up with story arcs every season that pit him against supernatural adversaries that we want to see him overcoming, but that aren’t so formulaic that he’s working in an office, or working for some men-in-black type of agency.

http://collider.com/constantine-tv-show ... el-cerone/
- Una Conversación con Charles Halford de "Constantine" (The TeleVixen):
Una Conversación con Charles Halford de "Constantine"
Por Melissa 24 Octubre, 2014

It’s finally here! Constantine premieres tonight, and we are so excited to share this interview with Charles Halford, who plays Chas Chandler, John Constantine’s best friend. Give it a read, and then watch the series premiere tonight at 10/9c on NBC, or 10pm ET/PT on Global TV in Canada.

Although many people familiar with Hellblazer will be tuning into Constantine, there are a lot of people that don’t know anything about John Constantine, or Chas Chandler. What do you think viewers should know going into this TV series?

You’ve got to start with John Constantine. Chas is John’s best friend, and John is Chas’ best friend, but John is the worst best friend that anyone could ever wish to have, and not because he’s not likeable — well, that’s debatable as well — but he’s just a very dangerous person to be around due to his dabblings in the dark arts. To give a briefing on John Constantine, I would say he’s a street wizard of sorts, an occultist. He came up in a rough childhood, and from the very beginning, he’s felt that his soul has been condemned. When you get really deep into the comics, you find out that he had a twin in the womb that he supposedly strangled for fear that he wouldn’t be the golden child. His mother died during childbirth as well, and he grew up with a father that always called him “killer” and it was really hard on him. Then, he found his way into punk rock music and eventually into occultism. Through some reckless experimentation, he summoned a few demons and damned a few people to hell. He’s sort of addicted to magic as well, so he can’t help himself but get involved when the boogeyman starts knocking. You can imagine that being the best friend to someone like that is quite trying at times and rarely rewarding; however, in the wake of all this chaos that John causes, he’s led to believe that the common good is improving, but sometimes you’ve got to sacrifice to save lives and prevent something worse from happening.

Chas is a family man in the comics, and he works on some of that in the show as well. You can imagine, if your husband had a friend like John, that could be pretty stressful when he came into town. But you also have this obligation to John that goes back in their history in the comics. We’re sort of creating a new Constantine world based solely on the Hellblazer comics. They’re changing a few things to make it more accessible to television viewers and people who aren’t familiar with the comics. It’s my hope that by the end of the first season, there will be a lot more Hellblazer fans, and the Hellblazer fans will become Constantine’s television fans.

I like the way the episodes are unrolling, and I think they’re doing a really good job of introducing this version of Constantine. We’re starting the series essentially when we meet Constantine in the Hellblazer title — he was introduced in Swamp Thing — but we’re starting it off at the same point when he got his own title. They spend a couple of episodes introducing everybody and this world, then we really start getting into some actual storylines from the comics. That’s exciting to me as a Hellblazer fan. As I’m reading the scripts that are coming in, I’m just like, “Awesome.” It’s pretty cool to watch those stories come to life.

I’ve recently seen Chas referred to as a “sidekick” but after seeing the pilot, I’d say he’s a lot more than that. Chas often keeps Constantine motivated and accountable, and in a way, keeps him in touch with his humanity. Do you see that as well, and is that something that will continue in Season 1?

One difference with the comics and the show, in the comics, Constantine keeps Chas at an arm’s distance. Outside of an occasional ride to the airport or being in really dire straits and needing a place to crash, he doesn’t involve Chas too much. Chas is a friend that Constantine doesn’t want to lose, and that he’s not willing to put at risk. In the show, Chas is much more involved, but I think a lot of that same element carries over. There is a humanizing aspect to that relationship. There’s something in that friendship that goes beyond the pawn mentality that Constantine has with a lot of people who cross his path. He’s quick to find fault in them. With some of his friends, he’ll make excuses as to why it’s OK to put that person’s life at risk or put an end to it via his magic; but with Chas, I don’t think that thought ever crossed Constantine’s mind. It’s quite the contrary. John would do anything he could to save Chas’ life and to keep that friendship alive. I’d say it’s more than a sidekick. Sidekick may be a trivial way of putting it, because every hero needs a sidekick, but I think John has a lot of allies of different expertise that he utilizes in his journey, but Chas is just always there. John’s motivated, but he’s addicted to magic, and he’s a reluctant kind of hero. He’s a drunk. In the comics, he’s a chain smoker, and he doesn’t like to get involved unless he has to get involved. Chas makes sure that John is fed, that he keeps going, and he’s also a pretty good sounding board in terms of some consciousness there.

In the pilot, we learn that Chas has some unique qualities, some might call them supernatural.

I think supernatural might be accurate.

How much are we going to dig into this aspect of Chas this season, and learn about what makes him tick?

I think all of those questions will be answered in the first season as to why he’s able to skirt death, or experience death and then come back. There will be answers for it. He’s not just a “Kenny” as I’ve heard him referenced (Referring to the South Park character). There’s a little bit more to it than that. I don’t think we’ll be keeping people in the dark that long.

What are you able to tease about the relationship with Chas and Zed in this first season?

Anyone who’s read the comic books understands that Zed has been dreaming about Constantine. She’s a sensitive, and has psychic abilities to a degree where she can she can see things, and has premonitions. In this rising darkness theme that’s introduced in the pilot, she starts seeing John. They’re similar. She’s a very headstrong woman who’s on her own in this world, whether by choice or otherwise, and there’s something that draws her to Constantine. Then, she’s equally stubborn. She won’t leave because she’s trying to figure out her own thing. If she’s in John’s life, she’s in Chas’ life, so there’s quite a bit of interaction between the two of us. I can say that I’m really excited because Zed opens up a lot of really cool storylines. She’s very involved in a lot of the comic books, so it really does open up a lot of great avenues to explore. She’d have to show up because she’s one of those important Hellblazer characters, and getting her in there early is an exciting thing. We’ve also added Papa Midnite, who is another big character in the comics that I couldn’t be happier to see in person. It really is coming together in a pretty sweet way.

Despite how dark the world of Constantine is, there are moments of humour and lightness, and we see some of that in the pilot. Does that tone continue throughout, and is there any challenge to balancing the two in your performance?

My favourite horror movies always had the trappings of humour. I think that it helps sell the scares sometimes. In terms of posing challenges, the writers do a lot of that work, and then there’s the relationship between myself and Matt (Ryan). There’s a certain degree of comedy that’s inherent in Hellblazer. In reading those books, sometimes I’ll moan over the gravity of a situation and the gruesomeness in it, and there are other moments that I’m laughing out loud because of Constantine’s snark, or the jib jab between Constantine and Chas. That’s all inherent in the source material, and it will be present in the show, but we want to keep it dark and pretty scary overall.

http://thetelevixen.com/2014/10/a-conve ... s-halford/
- Matt Ryan de 'Constantine': "A él no le da miedo hacerle el corte de manga al diablo" (THR):
Matt Ryan de 'Constantine': "A él no le da miedo hacerle el corte de manga al diablo"
Por Philiana Ng 1:30 PM PDT 24/10/2014

NBC's Constantine, the fourth DC Comics property to hit TV, has seen dramatic changes in the months leading up to its premiere. In July, two months after getting ordered to series, executive producers David Goyer and Daniel Cerone announced that Angelica Celaya would be replacing Lucy Griffiths as the show's female lead. Celaya would portray the powerful Zed, a foil for occult detective John Constantine.

"We wanted a more dynamic relationship, as opposed to someone who is a teacher/mentor and a student," explained Cerone back in July. "It just didn't feel as fertile and rich of an area as just a strong man and a strong woman who are both very different." It's those drastic shifts that can threaten to derail a show, but Welsh actor Matt Ryan (Criminal Minds), who dons the trench coat as the titular character, isn't rattled by the changes.

"First of all, Lucy's great. I had worked with her before on Collision for ITV in the U.K. and we played boyfriend-girlfriend. She did a great job on the pilot, but it was just a creative choice to bring in Zed," he tells The Hollywood Reporter rather diplomatically (Griffiths remains a guest star in the first episode). "Angelica is awesome. Out of all the girls we read, it was like, 'Please get her!' "

Zed's presence will shake up the characters' dynamics on the show, something Goyer and Cerone felt Griffiths' younger and more naive Liv couldn't do. In comic lore, Zed and John are romantically involved, which, naturally, heightens the stakes. "It'll be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out," Ryan says of John and Zed's relationship, adding, "From reading with [Angelica], there's a lot of spark and an energy there. She's someone who can get into John's face, whereas Liv's character is someone who could be more submissive and easier for John to manipulate. That creates more conflict, which can be more interesting."

When the opportunity to audition for the role came, Ryan was admittedly unfamiliar with the property. Not an avid comic book reader, he turned to a friend for advice on how to prepare.

"A friend of mine, who's a big comic book fan, was always talking about John Constantine. I'd seen the [2005] movie [with Keanu Reeves] and liked it, but I didn't know too much about the [Hellblazer] comics," Ryan said. "But as soon as I set the audition, he sent me the Dangerous Habits comics. He was like, 'Read it.' "

At the time, Ryan had been doing a Shakespeare play in London and had long hair and a beard — "the complete opposite" of John. Initially worried that his physical appearance might affect his chances of landing the role, he'd later find out through Cerone that Goyer's first impression was a good one: "We like Sasquatch," Ryan recalled.

Ryan connected almost instantly with John's "tormented soul and his dry, cynical wit, that old sense of British humor."

"He's someone who doesn't take himself too seriously. He's a really flawed character; I like to think of him as a working-class antihero. He's an everyday bloke's bloke, and I like the way he handles people. He's not afraid to stick the middle finger to the devil."

Though Ryan shares some qualities with his character, namely the dry sense of humor — "I'd like to think I'm not as much of a bastard as John is," he deadpans — there isn't much else connecting the two. "We're quite far apart," Ryan admits. "He's got a lot of stuff going on down there. Often with people with a lot of problems and deep-rooted issues, they counteract that with wit or hide it with some kind of humor. That's exactly what John's doing.

"He walks around with guilt every day and he carries the world on his shoulders. He's a humanist, so as much as he'd like to tell everyone to piss off, he can't because ultimately he's for the man, so he's sacrificing himself as well," he said.

If there are any nerves about taking on a crucial DC character, Ryan is hoping to do the fans — and the franchise — justice.

"With this kind of thing, there's always a lot of pressure," Ryan said, referencing the decades-long comic history. "There are so many die-hard fans out there and now I'm one of those fans as well. Having read some of the comics, I really want to stay true to the character. That's why I want to play the part. I don't want to veer away from that."

Ryan, whose favorite DC arc remains the six-issue Dangerous Habits, hopes to play that storyline out in the near future on Constantine. "It would be great to play out when John tricks the devil and they get to cure his lung cancer," he said. "I don't know if that's something we'll get to do but that'd be a great storyline to play out."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... hes-743736
- Goyer & Cerone hablan sobre Jim Corrigan, las conexiones con DC & Hellblazer (Ksitetv):
Goyer & Cerone hablan sobre Jim Corrigan, las conexiones con DC & Hellblazer
Por Craig Byrne, 24 Octubre, 2014

The NBC series based on the John Constantine: Hellblazer comic book character, titled simply Constantine, premieres TONIGHT at 10PM (ET) on NBC. In anticipation of the premiere, we spoke yesterday with the show's Executive Producers, David S. Goyer (Blade) and Daniel Cerone (Dexter), for some ideas on what to expect - especially when it comes to connections with the DC Universe.

Beyond Jim Corrigan, the host of The Spectre, who shows up early in the series and is played by Emmett Scanlan, is there anything planned to explore more of the dark side of the DC Comics world in the first season? "Within our first 13 [episodes] you'll see a couple of other characters from the larger DC Universe," Goyer told us, stressing that they will only bring characters in if there is an organic fit. In the case of Corrigan, he "was a really natural fit because we had a story first that involved a homicide detective. There was something supernatural involved in the homicide, and so we said 'Oh! That makes sense'!" he said.

"Here's an opportunity to plug in Jim Corrigan, and all of a sudden, you saved yourself a lot. Not only are you tapping into the DC Universe and the fans of the comics. It also helped us because we can start building our mythology out, and it now gives Constantine a friend on the force," Cerone said of the addition of the Corrigan to the show. Interesting trivia: Emmett Scanlan was one of the top choices for the role of John Constantine on this new series, and of course, now, he's appearing opposite Matt Ryan in future episodes.

"We didn't want to just introduce these characters and half it be kind of stunt casting where the broader audience would not really understand the backstory, so we needed to make sure that when we do introduce them, there's a really organic reason to introduce them, and not just introduce them because they're fun or it's an Easter egg," Goyer promised, seemingly taking an opposite approach to the chock-full of DC references and characters that we see in a show like Gotham. Cerone agreed. "It's not a hit parade of DC characters," he said.

With all that said, Goyer did say that if the show is picked up for a "back nine" in Season 1, we might see four characters from "the broader DC Universe." "It will be organic," Goyer stressed. "The main thing for us is that they're not just one-hit wonders. Corrigan is a recurring character, so that's cool." Constantine does have access to the DC library of occult characters, and Goyer is friends with DC Entertainment's Geoff Johns, so they discuss projects "all the time." If it's a non-occult character, there might be a problem, though. "I think if we wanted to do Blue Beetle, we'd have to negotiate with the Flash or Arrow or something like that. But we coordinate with DC," Goyer said.

As for the character that spun off Constantine in the first place, the Swamp Thing, Goyer admitted that is a "hard character to pull off." "In terms of VFX makeup, and we don't have ten million dollars to do CG. We definitely wouldn't see him in the first season, [but] if we're fortunate enough to keep going and we feel like we can pull that off… because that requires a lot of creature design, and we just need to make sure we can put it off and it doesn't look dumb. And, again, if it's organic to the story," he said.

For those unaware with the comic books, Constantine's longest-running comic book series was not called Constantine, but rather, it was called Hellblazer. Was there ever any temptation to give the TV show that name? "We went back and forth," David Goyer admitted. "It's funny, in that the New 52 version of DC where they rebooted Constantine, they called it Constantine and not Hellblazer. We were aware of the fact that the movie had been called that as well, and that that was an instance where we had a discussion back and forth, but I think ultimately, we felt like Hellblazer - for a mainstream audience - requires more explanation, as opposed to the lead character's name [which] is Constantine, and that's what the show is [called]," he explained.

"Hellblazer feels like a genre show, and Constantine is a character show," Cerone added. "We want to be a character show first and foremost, so to have a single title character at the forefront… look, if you read Hellblazer, and you hear of a show called Constantine, you know what that is."

Regardless of the name of the show, Goyer is very proud of the finished product. "I think the show is amazing, and it does what you hope a show does, which is - they get better and better after the pilot," he enthuses. "Hellblazer fans are going to be surprised, once we get a few episodes under our belt, at how true to the comics and the character it is."

http://www.ksitetv.com/interviews-2/con ... azer/44162
- Harold Perrineau se une al Universo DC en un personaje nunca antes visto en 'Constantine' (extraTV):
Harold Perrineau se une al Universo DC en un personaje nunca antes visto en 'Constantine'
Por ExtraTV 24 Octubre, 2014

ExtraTV.com sat down with Harold and executive producers Daniel Cerone and David Goyer to find out more.

Cerone explained that Manny, who is sometimes a guardian angel to demon hunter John Constantine (Matt Ryan), is the only new character they created for the show, which is based on the “Hellblazer” comic books.

In the graphic series, some of Constantine’s deepest thoughts and richest dialogue happens in his own head! They introduced Manny in order to get him talking on the show.

Dan said, “What Manny enabled us to do was to give [Constantine] a personal angel character who is very complex and questionable… [to help] bring out that inner dialogue.”

David added that the Manny and Constantine relationship allowed them “to have a lot of difficult conversations in terms of ‘Why do bad things happen to good people?’ and ‘Why does God allow it to happen?’”

Constantine and Manny may have a complex relationship, but that doesn’t mean they are best buds. Harold joked, “It’s not like a buddy cop thing. It’s not like [‘Lethal Weapon’s’] Riggs and Murtaugh. It is a really interesting relationship. I find it interesting to play because at times he’s antagonistic.”

The producers explained that Manny has a hidden agenda, one that not even Harold is privy too, likening the character to angels of the old testament.

While Manny is not in the comic books, Harold still did research to prepare, “I read the comics, because I wanted to see the tone everybody was talking about… and I went back to the Bible and went back to a bunch of Christian stories and found that angels they have really interesting stories.”

To see Harold in action, watch the premiere of “Constantine” on Friday at 10 PM on NBC.

http://extratv.com/2014/10/24/harold-pe ... nstantine/
- El director de 'Constantine': "Sentía como si un error necesitara ser corregido" (THR):
El director de 'Constantine': "Sentía como si un error necesitara ser corregido"
Por Aaron Couch 5:06 PM PDT 24/10/2014

Neil Marshall introduces a new version of John Constantine to the world Friday.

The director says he took on directing duties for the NBC pilot in part because he wanted to get things right. (Diehard Constantine fans have complained about Keanu Reeves' 2005 version being American, among other things.)

"I felt like a wrong needed to be righted. This a comic character who his origins are he's meant to be British, he's meant to be blonde, he's meant to be a bit of a rogue," he tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Thanks to projects like Game of Thrones, which recently earned him an Emmy nomination, and films like Dog Soldiers (2002), The Descent (2005) and Doomsday (2008), Marshall has more than enough cred with genre fans that even a hint of him being attached to a project is enough to send the Internet into a frenzy.

That's happened twice in recent weeks. Earlier this month, a false report had him attached to direct Legendary's King Kong project Skull Island (not true, he says), and weeks earlier a comment from Marshall about wanting to direct a Black Widow movie for Marvel set the fanboy community ablaze.

"That was kind of hilarious, people picking up on a random comment," Marshall says. "The quote was like 'I want to do a Black Widow movie.' Sure, I want to do the next movie that makes $200 million. Sure I want to do that. I'm not saying I'm going to."

Read THR's full conversation with Marshall below, where he also discusses producing his wife Axelle Carolyn directorial debut, Soulmate, which is on DVD in the U.S. next week.

What attracted to direct the pilot for Constantine?

I felt like a wrong needed to be righted. This a comic character who his origins are he's meant to be British, he's meant to be blonde, he's meant to be a bit of a rogue — and I hadn't really heard of him that much until the film came out. Suddenly there was this uproar. That got me into finding out who this guy was, and why the fans were unhappy with the movie. When I spoke to [executive producers] David Goyer and Daniel Cerone about it, they wanted to go back to the roots.

The pilot looks very cinematic like your Game of Thrones episodes. How does Constantine.

I approach TV as cinematically as possible. I watch movies on my television, so I want my television to look like movies. Many people I know have big, wide screen TVs. There's no reason to shoot television like its the 70s anymore. I shoot TV exactly like I would shoot a movie. There's slightly less time, but that's fine — you work fast and put as much on the screen as possible. It's about utilizing what you have and getting maximum production value out of it.

What was your biggest challenge with Constantine?

Getting the character right. It all hangs on him. Anything else is gravy around it. We had some big action sequences, some big stunts, and are trying to make things as scary as possible for a TV format. There are all of those elements, but it's about making his character compelling and making the series as scary as we can make it. The intention was to make a really scary TV show, to harken back to the days of The X-Files and things like that.

Matt Ryan seems to have nailed the character.

He's such a great character and I just cannot see anybody else in that role now. He owns it.

Game of Thrones has some of the best directors on TV. What was it like that you got an Emmy nomination for your episode?

I got very lucky in being chosen to direct that episode. I seem to have fallen into this position as being the resident epic battle director in Game of Thrones. That's a good position to be in. For then to have the episode to represent the series was pretty amazing. I didn't win for the series, but you know — whatever. Just to get nominated was a privilege enough. To be in the company of all those other directors who were nominated was astonishing company to be in.

Will you go back to Thrones? I imagine they'll call you in for the next epic battle.

If they have another set piece I'd be honored to do it for them. They are amazing, creative people to work with. They are very collaborative. They want the directors to come in and collaborate with them.

You have Soulmate, which you executive produced, coming out on DVD in the U.S. soon. What was working with that like?

My wife, Axelle, directed it. She's a natural director, so she didn't need me around on set much. I was around to advise when needed. I'm very happy to have my name on it. It's a great little story. It's scary. It's romantic. It's thoughtful. It's a beautiful movie. It was 90 percent women on the crew, who were all awesome. It was a pretty unique shoot to be on, and everybody was just fantastic.

The Internet blew up when you said you wanted to make a Black Widow movie. Should we take that comment seriously?

That was kind of hilarious, people picking up on a random comment.

The quote was like "I want to do a Black Widow movie." Sure, I want to do the next movie that makes $200 million. Sure I want to do that. I'm not saying I'm going to. It's kind of funny.

So it wasn't out of context, it's just you would be open to any of those types of movies.

I just keep an open mind about all that good stuff and see what comes along. It could be a really fun project to do if it ever happens — we'll just have to wait and see.

The Internet also went nuts when a false report came out that you would direct the King Kong movie Skull Island. To confirm — you really aren't directing that?

That's a bit of a confused mess . I wrote a spec script called Skull Island a couple years ago. That got passed on by the studios — and this one emerged and everybody assumed it was the same one, even though at no point was my named mentioned in any announcements. So the two things are unrelated — obviously the same title and same context — but different scripts, different stories. Different everything else. I'm afraid it's not my project, and has nothing to do with me.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ike-743865

Imagen Imagen

Responder

Volver a “SERIES DE TV BASADAS EN CÓMICS DE DC”